You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

1996917 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Cabin air filter « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mako
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Cabin air filter Reply with quote

Anyone install one of these? Been thinking of getting one for my TJ. I can't understand why Jeep would neglect to put a cabin filter on the one vehicle that would need it the most.

http://www.rjroffroad.com/fres.....17723.html

BTW, how to I upload pics? whenever I try it says I don't have permission.
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Hey Mako,

Uploading is only available for the site supporter who donated/purchased the DDTJ decals. I am doing this to pay for my web hosting service annually.

I have been meaning to do a cheap alternative to in-cabin filter write up.

I have installed an air filter for a John Deer riding mower after removing the cowl panel. It fits perfectly HVAC box intake and I used the aluminum foil tape used to seal the gap for the air ducts to secure the edges.

I have done it about a year or so ago when I was replacing the heater core and it is working fine so far. Only complaint is, when I have blower setting to suck the air from outside, it does not blow as hard as it used to. But I know my AC condenser is clean and does not blow crap on my face every time I use my HVAC.

HTH

mk
Mako
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome Mike. Do you have a part # for that filter or is there just one? I really don't care if the fan doesn't blow as hard. All I know is that I'm tired of sucking in dust everytime I hit the trails. With times the way they are and I'd much rather do this than spend $120 bucks on some doohickey when this will do just as well.

I just had the cowl off the other day trying to figure something out, this would be perfect!
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Sorry, I thought I took a photo of the packaging but I can't find that photo.

If you know how to take the cowl off, then just measure the dimension and pick up the filter from Lowes or Homedepot. They have it. It will come with prefilter which is made of green sponge. So let me know the part number or etc when you find it.

One thing to note, the filter will have handle like rubber gasket attached to the filter gasket. I think it is just gasket leading up to the intake of the lawn mower engine. Since you don't need it, cut it off before installing.

HTH
Mako
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it look like one of these?

http://images.lowes.com/produc.....9113md.jpg

http://images.lowes.com/produc.....9137md.jpg
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

More like the second one!
Mako
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got that filter in Mike. Couldn't find a john deere but found a briggs and stratton that was similar. There were a couple gaps but nothing that some good ol fashioned duct tape couldn't seal up. Looking forward to many miles of dust free driving.

Thanks Mike.
tnyj
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this, on the inside of my TJ. I have seen many posts where people are putting them on the outside (under the cowl), then I was thinking if this gets wet, overtime, isn't it going to mold? I'm in TN so we see wet weather often enough. I went to Home Depot and got this filter . Thus far, I have swapped it out a few times and place a piece covering the inside opening to my A/C vents and have changed it when it looks dirty or every other oil change. It has worked VERY well. It is on the two vents above the radio and on the defroster vent, but not yet of the sides. For just $5 it's a great "mod" for my health and for the amount that comes in the box lasts me a while.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang