You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

1925924 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 4WD snapping and popping...... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dali555
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: 4WD snapping and popping...... Reply with quote

I Helped!
I Helped!

I noticed this a little in the winter... but... I put it in 4WD to pull a small stump out of the ground... all went well until after I was done and I turned the wheel a lot to move the Jeep and there was a lot of loud popping and snapping and squealing sounds coming from the front end and the steering wheel shimmied back and forth violently... Once I took it out of 4WD everything was fine...

Any ideas what could be wrong with my 4WD?
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

Interesting.. It sounds almost normal to me. When TJ is in 4wd, front and rear drivetrains are locked up together. When you are turning, front and rear drivetrains spins at different speed.

As the speed differentiation has to be compensated, you hear loud bangs through the drivetrain slack and tire squealing. This is a lot more obvious when you are turning.

Engage your 4wd and drive straight. If it doesn't make any sound, I would say you are good. Otherwise further inspection is recommended.

HTH
dali555
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Helped!
I Helped!

You do only hear it when turning.... it is insane.... WOW, weird that it is normal.
thx!
DailyDrivenTJ.com
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Founder
Site Founder

It is not as obvious when you are driving on loose ground as driving on tarmac.

I don't want to misguide you here. I said loud bang, but it is more like clunk... depending on how loose the chain is on the transfer case, it may have to do with how noisy your drivetrain will be. It maybe entirely because of the loose U joint at the outer stub of the front axle shaft. If it has developed looseness inside due to wear, it may cause popping and such just like the CV joint of the FWD vehicles.

If you get a chance, I would put the Jeep on the jack stand and roll the wheels on its power when 4wd is engaged and see how it does and also check for looseness of the U joints in the front axle shafts.

HTH
dali555
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Helped!
I Helped!

Thx, I will do that!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang