You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
DailyDrivenTJ.com Forum Index

2102832 visitors since May 16, 2006

DailyDrivenTJ.com
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Items of Note with Brake Kit « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AZ Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Items of Note with Brake Kit Reply with quote

Upon initial inspection, here are a couple of observations that might cause problems for others:

1. The brackets that attach the caliper to the knuckle have two bolts that pass through welded-on steel sleeves. The tolerance on the center-to-center dimension between the holes is VERY tight, in fact too tight for me to get both bolts threaded into the caliper at the same time. I suspect that, in addition to the tight bolt-to-sleeve clearance, there is a small amount of distortion in the parallelism of the two bolt holes, caused by the welding of the sleeves to the bracket.

To fix this problem, I reamed the holes in both brackets out with a 31/64 inch drill. This leaves about 0.018” inch of clearance between the bolt and the hole, and allowed both bolts to be installed.

2. Once the bracket is bolted to the caliper, I could not get the caliper to slide on it’s pins. The root cause of this is that the caliper fits up tight against the bracket when the bolts are tightened, and binds the caliper from sliding properly.

My solution here was to file some clearance in the caliper housing. There are already some flat surfaces on the caliper in this area (probably left over from the casting operation to make the caliper body), so these need to be taken down to provide clearance against the bracket. I chose to file the caliper instead of the bracket because aluminum is easier to cut than steel.

If anyone needs pictures of what I did here to resolve my issues, PM me and I will send them along.
Gojeep
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad you noticed that as had one other bracket over here have that problem and didn't know what had caused it at first. I have redesigned the bracket already for more clearance between the two so it wont happen again as it did on one other besides yours.
He has also made a better jig to weld the spacers in correctly positioned too. Have added notes to the instructions make sure there is clearance.

Please every body double check that there is some clearance between the caliper body and the hub bracket.

Cheers
AZ Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gojeep wrote:
I am so glad you noticed that as had one other bracket over here have that problem and didn't know what had caused it at first. I have redesigned the bracket already for more clearance between the two so it wont happen again as it did on one other besides yours.
He has also made a better jig to weld the spacers in correctly positioned too. Have added notes to the instructions make sure there is clearance.

Please every body double check that there is some clearance between the caliper body and the hub bracket.

Cheers

Marcus, if you go to the write-up here: http://www.radford.edu/~cmargiott/JeffInstall.pdf
You can see, in the first couple of pages, the photos of the issues I describe above.
Gojeep
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through that before already thankyou. I have also spoken to the manufacture of the kits and they are drilling and machining the brackets on the CNC mill so all will be accurate from now on. Only the first few were done by hand.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Daimler-Chrysler Corporation.
DailyDrivenTJ.com is not associated with the Daimler-Chrysler Corp. in any way.
Copyrighted (c) 2006 DailyDrivenTJ.com - All right reserved.
Template Based on DAJ Glass (1.0.8) by Dustin Baccetti
DailyDrivenTJ.com Logo Designed by Michael Kang